Crunchy Chicken Enchilada Meatballs ……Everything old is new again….again!
Google has a new “thing” for food blogs that has to do with making sure your blog is recognized. This means I have had to go back through ALL of my recipes and make sure they comply with these new rules.
I have been writing What the “Forks” for Dinner? for almost 5 years now……wow, it seems like just yesterday we came up with the idea we could do this. We have a lot of recipes!…. 456 to be exact…. not including this one! Looking back we realize how far we have come.
We also realize that some of the first pictures we posted are……. not so very good!!! Taking note of that we decided to remake some of our first recipes and take new pictures. Continue reading “Crunchy Chicken Enchilada Meatballs”
This post is for my friend Lindsay from the Brandywine. Farro Enchilada Casserole is a healthy lightened up casserole that is I think is close to Vegan with the exception of the cheese.
As I researched Vegan, I found that some eat cheese and some don’t. So, if you are non-cheese vegan you can leave the cheese out, but I think it adds to the dish.
I tried farro a while back and fell in love with it.It is often used as a substitute for pasta or rice. Farro is a grain with a nutty flavor similar to brown rice. It is rich in fiber, magnesium and vitamins A, B, C, and E. Anything that tastes like rice is OK with me. Plus it only takes minutes in my pressure cooker…..yeah I’m still on that craze!
You can’t go wrong with a Mexican theme for any meal and I am a enchilada lover…….even with no meat. Black beans, corn, enchilada sauce, chilies, cumin and chili power added to cooked farro, then baked with or with out cheese. Can’t you just smell those spices…….
Tomatoes, avocado, and green onions for garnish…….so tasty you won’t miss the meat.
This dish makes plenty, so we had leftovers. For you carnivores……… day two recipe……..make burritos.
We grilled chicken tenders, sliced them added them to the warmed casserole. Wrapped them in tortillas, with extra cheese and salsa……..they were awesome.
Farro Enchilada Casserole is a vegan/vegetarian dream come true recipe and on day two can be revamped to satisfy those who love the meat!
- 1 cup farro
- 1 (10-ounce) can Old El Paso™ mild enchilada sauce
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can Old El Paso™ chopped green chiles, drained
- 1 -11 ounce can corn, drained
- 1 – 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese, shredded, divided
- 1/2 avocado, seeded, peeled and diced
- 1 Roma tomato, dice
- 3 green onions, sliced
- Cilantro for garnish
- Cook farro according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 2 quart baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine farro, enchilada sauce, green chiles, corn, black beans, cilantro, cumin and chili powder; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in 1 cup Mexican blend cheese.
- Spread farro mixture into the prepared baking dish. Top with remaining cheese. Place into oven and bake until bubbly and cheeses have melted, about 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately, garnished with avocado, tomato, and cilantro if desired.
Quick and easy…Chicken Enchilada Skillet.
The Holiday Season is here, with all of it’s crazy, busy, hustle and bustle. So, why not make dinner a snap? Chicken Enchilada Skillet is just that dinner.
Tim and I love enchiladas, but lets face it, they are kinda a pain to make……all that dipping, stuffing, and rolling……..not to mention the baking time.
So, lets deconstruct them and make it easy on ourselves, but still have the same great taste.
I have a breakfast recipe Fiesta Egg Skillet, that I got from one of those little cookbooks that are in the checkout lane at all the grocery stores. Continue reading “Chicken Enchilada Skillet”