One of our first recipes on What the “Forks” for Dinner? was Hamburger Soup. It has been one of our most popular recipes and it is Tim and I’s personal favorite.
Our picture taking skills were less than great when we first started, so we are happy to repost the recipe with new and improved pictures. You can read the original post Hamburger Soup by clicking the link.
Please enjoy our update and try the Hamburger Soup……… we are sure it will be your new favorite!!Print
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups beef stock
- 1 heaping tablespoon beef base (paste type)
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat, and crumble in the ground beef. Cook and stir until the beef is evenly browned and no longer pink.
- Stir in the onion, carrots, celery, and barley. Pour in diced tomatoes, beef stock, and ketchup. Season with bay leaf, parsley, garlic pepper, thyme, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and cover; simmer for 2 hours, stirring frequently. Remove bay leaf before serving.