Quinoa…….funny word…..super yummy taste!!!!
Spinach Artichoke Quinoa Casserole……..super yummy casserole!!!!!
Quinoa [KEEN-wah]…..funny name for such a super food……..high in fiber, gluten free, very high in protein, with all the essential amino acids, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals…….a “SUPERFOOD”
With a mild, nutty flavor and a satisfying crunch, its easy to add to your diet. Quinoa takes on the flavor of the ingredients you add and gives them a nice nutty flavor in return.
Quinoa come in three different types……red, black, and white……..I went for the trifecta and got the tricolor mix.
When you go to the grocery store as often as I do, you get to know folks. So, I was looking at the bagged grains, one of the gals from the store, Gina ,was talking to Tim when she noticed I was looking at the grains. She pointed out that she really like the tricolor quinoa mix. I already had a bag of quinoa at home, but I told her I would try it sometime.
Sometimes, its really who you know…..she comped me a bag……..I told her she didn’t need to but…….. So, thank you Gina, and this dish is in your honor!
Last week fall was in the air and I love a good casserole, and I had a new bag of quinoa. I also had artichoke hearts, and spinach……I know the making of a perfect dip….well except for the quinoa……..a few more ingredients and it’s a casserole.
Quinoa, cooked in my pressure/rice cooker. I know I keep singing it’s praises, but it really is a great tool!
Chicken breast, cooked with garlic and onion, add the artichokes, spinach, quinoa and cheese. Mix and heat well with a slurry of milk and cornstarch. Pour into a casserole dish and top with a panko and cheese mixture……..once again I say….super!
It took 25 minutes in the oven and a I’m gonna say it again……a super casserole emerged!
Bonus with this dish……it reheats great….you thought I was gonna say super…..lol
I was able to take it for lunch almost all week and I never got tired of it.
Spinach Artichoke Quinoa Casserole………super casserole, for super you!!!!!!Print
Spinach Artichoke Quinoa Casserole
- Yield: 4 1x
- 3 cups tri colored quinoa, cooked
- 1 large chicken breast, diced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 cups slim milk
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 – 12ounce package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and drained
- 11 oz package baby spinach
- 1 1/2 cups 5 Cheese Italian cheese, shredded & divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Cook quinoa according to package directions
- Preheat large non-stick skillet on medium heat , melt coconut oil. Add onion and garlic, and chicken, sauté until chicken is cooked through, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 375* Spray 9″ x 13″ baking dish with cooking spray. In a small bowl, whisk together milk with cornstarch. Add milk mixture to a skillet with cooked onion, garlic and chicken. Add Artichoke hearts, spinach, 1 cup of cheese, quinoa (fluff with a fork a bit before adding), add salt and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Mix remaining 1/2 cup cheese and panko crumbs in a small bowl, set aside.
- Transfer skillet mixture into the prepared baking dish,and sprinkle with panko cheese mixture. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes. If topping is browning to quickly loosely cover with foil.
- Remove from oven an let set for 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Can be made without chicken for a vegetarian meal.