If you peruse Pinterest or Instagram these days you are bound to see “Buddha Bowls”. Veggie Burger & Fries Buddha Bowl is our addition to this craze.
So what is a “Buddha Bowl” you ask????? Well truthfully it’s up to you. Most bowls begin with a base of either a leafy green or some type of grain.
Then toppings are added…..veggies…sliced or diced, a protein….lean meat, and a drizzle of sauce. Continue reading “Veggie Burger & Fries Buddha Bowl”
Quinoa…….funny word…..super yummy taste!!!!
Spinach Artichoke Quinoa Casserole……..super yummy casserole!!!!!
Quinoa [KEEN-wah]…..funny name for such a super food……..high in fiber, gluten free, very high in protein, with all the essential amino acids, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals…….a “SUPERFOOD”
With a mild, nutty flavor and a satisfying crunch, its easy to add to your diet. Quinoa takes on the flavor of the ingredients you add and gives them a nice nutty flavor in return.
Quinoa come in three different types……red, black, and white……..I went for the trifecta and got the tricolor mix.
When you go to the grocery store as often as I do, you get to know folks. So, I was looking at the bagged grains, one of the gals from the store, Gina ,was talking to Tim when she noticed I was looking at the grains. She pointed out that she really like the tricolor quinoa mix. I already had a bag of quinoa at home, but I told her I would try it sometime.
Sometimes, its really who you know…..she comped me a bag……..I told her she didn’t need to but…….. So, thank you Gina, and this dish is in your honor! Continue reading “Spinach Artichoke Quinoa Casserole”
Toasted Quinoa Cabbage Salad
This salad was totally for me……..and it was damn good!!!!
Truth be told Tim is not a quinoa lover. I adore it….I would eat it all the time. I have found it frozen at my local grocery store, which I should give a heads up to Kroger…What the “Forks” for Dinner’s, go to grocer. The frozen quinoa comes in a steam-able bag and is perfect for dishes that call for quinoa….pop it in the wave and a couple of minutes later…ta da…..recipe ready.
I have been eating a lot of chickpeas …aka garbanzo beans lately. They have a kinda nutty taste and a texture thats buttery, but starchy too. Plus they have a ton of fiber and protein that makes them perfect for a meatless dish. Not this dish…..it has bacon….yum!!! The dish has bacon because it has cabbage, and you need bacon with cabbage…..just saying!
The other ingredients, were things I had left over from other dishes. Thats the tough part of buying groceries for two, you have stuff left! So, in my effort to be thrifty, I wanted to use up, some carrots,red pepper, and snow peas. They melded really well with the quinoa, bacon, and cabbage.
A little lemon zest and juice for a bright tartness, and dill for that springtime touch…..Toasted Quinoa Salad. You can serve this either warm or cold…..perfect springtime salad for lunch or a light dinner!
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoons coconut oil oil
- 2 slices applewood smoke bacon cut into small pieces
- 1/2 head cabbage thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red pepper
- 1/4 cup carrots
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. (I buy mine frozen in a steam-able bag at my local grocery store.)
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until crispy. Remove, reserving the bacon fat. Add cabbage, red pepper, and carrots cooking until cabbage is limp.
- Add remaining tablespoon oil to skillet. Add quinoa, and raise heat to high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until quinoa is toasted and crispy, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat. Add chickpeas, snow peas, bacon,lemon zest and juice, and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in dill.