It’s already May, and you would think it’s March the way the weather is here. Alas, that will not alter my Springtime recipe creations. Hence the name of this recipe. Spring Shrimp Asparagus Couscous Salad.
Fresh Homemade Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
Whats more popular than Ranch dressing? I think nothing! Ranch dressing overtook Italian as the best selling dressing in 1992 and it never looked back.
Ranch is a dressing for salads, a dip for fresh and fried foods. It’s used on everything from pizza to burgers.
When you have a garden and you plant tomatoes, they all seem to come on at once!!! What to do, what to do? BLT Pizza of course.
I don’t know about anyone else, but nothing beats a Summertime BLT, and a BLT Pizza= Summertime heaven.
There is something that just can’t beat a summer fresh from the garden tomato. The flavor is something that cannot be duplicated in any hothouse or other mass produced tomato.
Just a few thing to know about tomatoes you get at the grocery store. The ones for mass production have been breed to have tougher skin so they don’t bruise, and the skins won’t break so easily, so they have a higher yield, and are uniform in shape and size. The saddest thing is they are ALL picked green……that right green. It’s the easiest way to ship them so they are intact when they reach the store. But they never reach their full ripening potential without sunlight which gives tomatoes their wonderful flavor.
Tomatoes from a Farmers Market or home grown have a thin skin that is, for lack of a better word, fragile.Fresh home grown tomatoes almost melt in your mouth, with a sweet, juicy, rich flavor that is beyond compare. So, when in season, eat them up!
Now, for a word on bacon…….when using the best of summer tomatoes, buy good, thick cut bacon. No whimpy, skinny, no flavor bacon! Enough said!
As always, I am a Miracle Whip lover, I don’t get paid to say it, it’s just the fact! If you must use mayo…..she says with a slight gag;) Its the perfect “sauce” for a BLT Pizza
This pizza is super duper easy, so you can whip it up any weeknight. I used a pre-made crust, but you can use your own crust if you desire. If using your own, be sure to pre-bake the crust first or you will have a soggy mess.
You can make this pizza in the oven or on the grill. Whatever your pleasure.
If you love BLTs, and who doesn’t, you will love BLT Pizza. Try one this week!Print
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup miracle whip
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 6 slices thick cut applewood smoked bacon, cooked until just crisp
- 1 Boboli pizza crust
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup baby arugula or lettuce of your choice
- Preheat oven to 450*
- Mix miracle whip, olive oil, basil, garlic, and pepper in a small bowl and set aside.
- Chop tomatoes, and bacon.
- Spread miracle whip mixture over pizza crust.
- Top with chopped bacon and tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Place pizza on a cookie, sheet, pizza stone, or on the rack in your oven.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the cheese is melted and beginning to brown.
- Top with arugula and serve.