School is out and summer is in…..
Lemons and Summer kinda just go together and they are the perfect thing and time for Lemon Ice box Cake.
Lemons on a hot summer day can help quench your thirst …..lemonade…..or refresh your sweet tooth….sugary lemonade. The scent of lemons are are fresh and the tart taste is ……well just summery!!!
I have been making this recipe to enjoy at cookouts for years. It’s a refreshing palate cleanser after BBQ food. Best part is you make it ahead……more time to enjoy the cookout.
Light, tart and sugary….reminds me of the old lemon drop candies. I’m not sure they even make those anymore…..or at least how I remember them, little hard lemon candies covered with a powered sugar like coating.
This cake is super easy to make , just a cake mix, box of lemon pudding, mix it up and bake.
The special part is the glaze. Although it’s only powdered sugar and lemon juice, you pour it on the hot out of the oven cake. It seeps into all the holes you make by poking the hot cake all over with a fork. Be sure you use fresh squeezed lemons……nothing else compares.
Pop the cake into the frig. Let it cool overnight or at least until the entire cake is cold.
Cut and serve with whipped topping if desired.
Lemon Ice Box Cake is the perfect summer dessert!
Lemon Ice Box Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 box lemon instant pudding
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1c. water
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Mix all ingredients well. Place in a 13X9 inch pan that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, and dusted with flour.
- Bake at 350* for 30 to 40 min.
- Make a glaze from 1 pound powdered sugar and 1/2 cup lemon juice
- As soon as taken from oven poke top of cake with a fork. Pour glaze over hot cake. Refrigerate overnight. Slice and serve. Top with whipped cream if desired.