Soup turned salad……..Minestrone Salad.
Thick Italian minestrone is a combination of vegetables, pasta, beans, and tomatoes. Perfect for a snowy winter warm up.
But, it’s summer….and, its hot. I really don’t want soup. But the flavors of Minestrone sound really good…..lets try a salad!!
Since there is no set recipe for minestrone…..according to Wikipedia. so add what you like. It’s usually made from in season vegetables. But, to be true minestrone according to cookbook author Angelo Pellegrini,minestrone must have beans.
Well far be it from me to make an untrue minestrone, so we have beans. Two kinds…..dark red kidney, and white kidney or cannellini, as they are commonly referred too.
Fingerling potatoes, green beans, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, and carrot, celery, and onions, are added to al dente gemelli pasta and the beans. Any small pasta will do, I just like the twisted look of the gemelli.
Instead of a “salad dressing” I used sundries tomato pesto. It has the right flavor for minestrone and it gives the Minestrone Salad the tomatoey look of the soup.
Minestrone Salad can be a main dish salad, served with a crusty loaf of bread, or as a side dish for your favorite meat.Print
- 6 fingerling or baby red potatoes
- 2 cups green beans, cut in half
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small zucchini, cut into chunks
- 1 can 15 1/2-ounce kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can 15 1/2-ounce cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 pound gemelli, cooked al dente and cooled
- 1small jar sun dried tomato pesto
- Parmesan cheese for serving
- Chopped Parsley for garnish
- Slice fingerling potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are just tender, about 8-10 minutes. Rinse under cold water to cool. Set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add 1 teaspoon salt. add green beans and blanch the vegetables just until they’re bright green, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and rinse them with cold water, and set aside.
- Toss all ingredients until the pesto coats the veggies, pasta, and beans. Top with parmesan cheese and garnish with parsley if desired.
Keywords: potatoes, green beans, carrots, zucchini, kidney beans, cannellini beans, cherry tomatoes, pasta, pesto, salad