Mini Mexican Monkey Bread
Ok, so I made Monkey bread, I have seen tons of recipes for it, and decided to see what all the chatter was about……..
The chatter is…. it is “forking” delicious!!!! Mini Mexican Monkey Bread is individual little domes of pepper jack cheesy,and pull apart pretzel bread…….thats right, I said pretzel!
I have seen recipes from all kind of breads, pre-made, from scratch, frozen doughs and pop en’ fresh doughs. Anyway you make it, warm chunks of cheesy flavorful bread can not be wrong.
Tim and I love the pretzel dough. Our Auntie Anne’s Copycat Pretzel dough is the bomb!!! So, I figured if you can use any type of bread, why not pretzel dough. We also love Mexican food, well probably more Tex Mex, but still all those south of the border flavors.
Once I had my dough ready, I cut it into small cubes…maybe an inch to an inch and a half. Shredded pepper jack cheese, chopped some green onions, garlic, and cilantro, and mixed them with red pepper flakes, cumin and salt and pepper. The non Tex Mex part….melted butter. Mix chopped stuff, the spices, and melted butter toss in the dough cubes until they are covered with the mixture. Use your hands ….they are your best tool…… wash them first of course.
After all the cubes have a buttery, cheesy coating… you have several choices on how to bake them. I made mine in small bundt pans….hence, the Mini part……but you can use a regular size bundt pan, an angel food cake pan,or any pan where you can pile them up.
Just for extra cheesiness, I put more cheese on the top………the result, like potato chips…..no one can eat just one!!!
Dip them in salsa or serve them with nacho cheese sauce…cause who doesn’t want more cheese? We made a Chipotle sauce for ours, as we were using chipotles in another recipe…..waste not want not.
We share what we have left from our kitchen adventures with the neighbors… if we have any left……guess the neighbors will have to make their own Mini Mexican Monkey Bread…….Print
Mini Mexican Monkey Bread
- Yield: 6 1x
- 1/2 recipe Auntie Annies Copycat Pretzel dough
- 1/2 cup Butter, melted
- 2 1/2 cups pepper jack, divided
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4– 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp cumin
- Salt and Pepper
- Salsa and nacho cheese sauce for dipping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare pretzel dough. Roll and cut into small cubes – about 1-1 1/2 inch squares.
- Spray 6 small bundt pans with non-stick cooking spray. I used the small bundt pans, but you can also use a regular bundt pan.
- Melt the butter in a small bowl.
- Combine 2 cups cheese, green onions, garlic, cumin, and salt/pepper in a large bowl. Add the melted butter and mix together. Toss the cut dough into the butter cheese mixture making sure it all gets coated with butter mixture. Place the cubes into the bundt pans until they are about 3/4 of the way full. Top with remaining cheese.
- Place bundt pans into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until the bread and cheese is golden brown. Serve with warmed salsa or nacho cheese sauce….or both.
If making in a full size bundt pan you will need to adjust your baking time.