Asparagus Ham Lasagna
Easter Sunday………Families, faith, and of course food! Every Easter, all the Aunts, Uncles, and cousins would squeeze into my Grandma’s tiny little house for a huge Easter feast at the center of which was my Grandma’s ham. It was always huge, you know so she could send some home with everyone. She saved margarine and cool whip tubs all year so she could send left over holiday food home.
Back then the take home was for ham sandwiches or scalloped potatoes and ham. So in tribute to the left over ham……..Asparagus Ham Lasagna.When you buy a ham,buy a bone-in ham. You can use the left over ham for sandwiches, scalloped potatoes and ham, or Asparagus Ham Lasagna! The bone makes a nice pot of October Beans Southern Style.
Since spring and Easter go hand and hand, and asparagus is associated with spring, and Easter is associated with ham………not sure where I was going with that but…..the combination of asparagus, ham, and swiss cheese is delicious!!! Adding pasta is like icing on a cake.
The nice thing about lasagna is that you can make it and bake it, you can make it and bake it the next day, or you can make it and freeze it for a meal when you don’t know what to fix.
Add some crusty bread and a nice green salad and its a feast that is sure to please.Print
Asparagus Ham Lasagna
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 1/2 package no cook lasagna noodles
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 1/2 cups milk
- 2 1/2 cups swiss cheese shredded
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound sliced ham, thin slices ( I used left over from a spiral cut ham)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees .
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the milk and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Lower the heat and simmer, whisking constantly, until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in 1 cup of swiss cheese and half of the nutmeg; season with salt and pepper.
- Spread about 1/3 cup of the cheese sauce in a baking dish. Layer 3 noodles on the sauce and top with 3/4 cup cheese sauce. Place half the ham and asparagus on top and 1/3 of the remaining swiss over the sauce. Repeat the layering process three more times. Top with the remaining noodles, cheese sauce, swiss and nutmeg. Cover with foil and bake until heated through, about 30 minutes. Uncover and cook for 10 minutes more. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Keywords: asparagus, ham, lasagna, bake, dinner, no cook lasagna noodles