Chocolate Raspberry Cookie
Well………… how nice that ‘Date Night Dinner’ is the day before Valentine’s Day…………I made this cookie last weekend and allI can say is, delicious. It has some of my favorite things………chocolate, raspberries, almonds……….and more chocolate. Bonus, it only serves two, so no leftovers…….wait!!!!!……. maybe not a bonus. Anyway, it was super easy to make, tastes like it took a lot of effort, and I think it looks like a million bucks.
So after you have served your Poor Mans Lobster (shameless plug)…….impress your sweetie with this cookie……it’s meant to be shared……..pssst it doesn’t have to be Valentines Day to share this with your sweetie 😉 Continue reading “Chocolate Raspberry Cookie”
Red Velvet Truffles
Happy Hearts……..it’s almost Valentine’s Day! A day of hearts and romance and of course sweets. You really cannot have a Valentine’s Day celebration without something sweet. So, instead of the big red heart filled with “gamble” chocolate………you know the one where you aren’t sure what is on the inside until you bite it and then yuck…………I always got the one that had mystery filling, you know the one where you really can’t decide what the flavor is, but it’s off, and all you really wanted was the caramel or the vanilla buttercream.
Save yourself that horror and make these Red Velvet Truffles, then you know what the filling will be and you can be the “Queen”……or “King” of hearts. If you like red velvet cake these truffles will be right up your alley. They have that cakey cream cheese filling and are covered in a candy coating that is the perfect sweet for your sweetie!
- 4 red velvet cupcakes crumbled ( I used a box mix – replacing the oil with melted butter and doubling the amount, adding 1 extra egg, and replacing the water with buttermilk – after baking I froze the remaining cupcakes to use later)
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 8 ounces Ghirardelli white melting wafers
- red food coloring
- Make cupcakes according to instructions above and bake according to package directions.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely.
- In a small bowl mix cream cheese and powdered sugar. Crumble the 4 cupcakes on top of cream cheese mixture and stir until throughly combined.
- Using a small ice cream scoop (you can also use a spoon but the scoop insures uniform truffles) scoop mixture onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment or waxed paper. Place in freezer for 1 hour.
- For the coating melt the white melting wafers according to package directions in the microwave. Dip each truffle into the coating letting excess drip off. Place back on lined cookie sheet to dry.
- Tint remaining coating with red food coloring to desired color. Place tinted coating in a ziploc bag and cut a small piece off the corner. Decorate truffles with any design you chose. Allow the coating to harden. You can make the truffles up to 3 days ahead and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Keywords: red velvet, cake, truffles, cream cheese, white chocolate, dessert
Almond Poppyseed Cupcakes-Almond Buttercream Frosting
So, what to do, what to do……..it snows…..every other day, and when its not snowing,it’s sub-zero and not fit for man nor beast! But the blessing in this, is that, well really there are two blessings…….. Snow Days …..yeah! and Baking….yeah!
I have a renewed joy in baking these days. There was a time when baking was not on the top of my list. See, I was a bakery manager at a local grocery store for a number of years, and after awhile the joy of it kinda disappears.
I always joked that I was a “fake and bake” baker. So many of the products you buy in grocery stores these days come par baked or totally baked and you finish the process or combine items to makes what really can be some amazing items. I remember one of my regular customers asking about the cream puffs that I sold like crazy. She thought that I made them myself, when in reality, the shell of the cream puff came pre baked and frozen, so all I had to do was thaw them, cut them in half, use the bavarian cream filling from the 35# bucket, melt frosting from another bucket and drizzle it across and……. oh la la a cream puff. Continue reading “Almond Poppyseed Cupcakes-Almond Buttercream Frosting”