Johnny AppleSlaw Burger
Let’s just say that sometimes, nothing but a big fat juicy burger can satisfy a craving, and sometimes, you need to step out of the box and do something a little different…….Johnny Appleslaw Burger.
I have had a thing for apples lately. Not sure why, but they sound good all the time…….alone, just a juicy, shiny, crispy apple. Dipped in caramel, or peanut butter…….baked into a pie or crisp…..hmmm. So why not on a burger?????
At first, I was going to cook the apples, and then just top the burger. But, I had some left over cabbage from another dish so, why not add the slaw mix to the apples, but leave the apple raw and top the burger.
Let me say, Tim and I were both “jonesing” ( you may have to be from a certain time to get that…..LOL) for a burger, and sometime, hunger is the mother of invention. But, imitation is the greatest form of flattery ……….pulled pork with cole slaw on top…….burger with apple slaw on top!!!
The burger is just …….well a burger. Which by the way, Tim forms the absolute perfect shaped burger….its amazing……….uniform, perfectly round……he also cooks them perfectly, as I tend to be fast and furious with cooking meat, and he is low and slow.Perhaps I should take a lesson….hmmmm.
My perfect burger has swiss cheese, for Tim it’s cheddar…..sharp cheddar. I know there is a practice where people use cheddar cheese on apple pie………I question this?????? I am not 100% sure this is the thing to do with a perfectly good apple pie.
For this burger I went with the cheddar……excellent choice. Burger, cheddar cheese, apple slaw on a toasty bun. Apple slaw with granny smith apples, cole slaw mix. green onion…….simple, with a honey dijon dressing.
OMG……. I almost for got the bacon……….I added two strips of bacon to each burger, because bacon makes everything better!
We made these burgers really big, so our recipe only served two………..we’re good eaters…..or pigs……… depending on your point of view. But, you can easily make this into 3-4 burgers, if you are tiny eaters…..hee….. hee.
This recipe is wonderful in its simplicity. It all came together in under twenty minutes……… how easy is that?
So, next time you are “jonesing” for a burger, an apple, or both, try the Johnny Appleslaw Burger!Print
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese, sliced
- 4 slices, bacon cooked crisp
- 4 buns, of your choice, toasted
- 1/2 cup cole slaw mix ( prepackaged mix )
- 1/2 granny smith apple, cut into matchstick pieces
- 1 green onion , sliced thin
- 1/4 cup miracle whip or mayo
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon grainy garlic brown mustard
- Shape burger into patties. Season with salt and pepper. Cook on flat griddle, grill pan, skillet, or grill to your desired doneness.
- Meanwhile, mix cole slaw mix, apple, and green onion in a medium bowl. For the dressing mix all dressing ingredients in a small bowl, pour over slaw mixture and toss to combine.
- To assemble, place on piece of cheese on the bottom of the bun, top with burger, another piece of cheese, the bacon, and pile high with apple slaw, top with bun top.Eat! Enjoy!