Spring Chicken Soup
Awww Spring is in the air……last week was freezing, what a difference a day makes……today was in the 40’s and it will be in the 50’s the rest of the week…..So long Winter…….Hello Spring!
Although the winter here was nothing like the folks out east, it has seemed long. I am ready for my flip-flops and no coat…….I hate shoes and coats…..both are too cumbersome.
So, it’s still chilly out, and Tim and I were in the mood for chicken, so how about chicken soup? But, lets pay homage to Spring……..Spring Chicken Soup.
It should be light, with veggies, and of course lots of chicken!
I am not usually a fan of anything poached, but an egg……..one of the culinary skills I lack…….I can not poach an egg……..but, I can poach chicken. I’m not sure why, but poached chicken says “Spring” to me! Sometimes, I can be an odd duck…….oh wait …..I’m making chicken!
Soooo anyhow……I chose carrots, green onions, sugar snap peas, and dill. All three of them again, make me think of Spring! Maybe some pasta, just a few carbs needed. Egg noodles are homey and perfect for soup. I bought some Amish egg noodles…..yummy!
I poached the chicken, cooked the carrots and onions in the broth just until tender crisp. Added the egg noodles and cooked until tender. A touch of cream for……well creaminess. I added the snap peas at the very end, as I really just wanted to warm them up and bring out their bright green color. You want them to be snappy…….they are snap peas……lol. Some fresh dill at the very end……….Spring Chicken Soup.
While I poached the chicken, you can always use leftovers or use a rotisserie chicken. Either way I am sure Spring Chicken Soup will put a Spring in your step!
- 1–32 oz carton chicken stock
- 1 3/4 pounds bone-in chicken breast halves, skin removed
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 4 ounces dried wide egg noodles
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 2 cups sugar snap peas, cut diagonally in half
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Bring stock to a simmer in a medium pot over high heat. Add chicken, cover, reduce heat to simmer and poach chicken until cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from poaching liquid and set aside to cool slightly.
- Increase heat to medium and add green onions and carrots, simmer until green onions are just tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add egg noodles and simmer until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove chicken from bones and tear into large chunks.
- Stir chicken, cream, sugar snap peas, parsley, salt, and pepper into soup. Remove form heat and cover for 2-3 minutes until the sugar snap peas are bright green. Stir in dill. Serve.