Bacon Cheeseburger Cobb Salad
Ahhhh……the Bacon Cheeseburger, what can one say about a juicy burger, covered in cheddar cheese, and topped with crispy bacon……….it’s the best burger you can have!!!! So, why not have it in a salad??? A Cobb salad…….ohhh good idea!
So, basically this is a bacon cheeseburger on a plate……you know “fork”…..time.
This really came out of Tim and I’s desire for a burger, and guess what……. no buns. So, you either, run to the store……….or, you make do with what you do have. Number two wins………….Ok, I had everything but the bun. I did have a ciabatta roll, so I cut it up for the croutons…..aka bread of the dish. The rest was pretty easy and straight forward.
Fry up the bacon, and drain it on paper toweling. Here a little tip about frying bacon…….cut it up first, then fry it……it makes it so much easier…….. if the recipe says crumble the bacon….cut then fry! I know , I know, but thats what I’m here for……
Everything else is either just a quick cut up, or if you are like me, you bought things already ready already………. I know that buying products prepared or partially prepared costs more, but your time is worth a lot, and p.s. I’m kinda lazy sometimes….just saying…..
I had cheddar cheese…already cubed, I did cut the romaine……the prepackaged looked yucky, halved some cherry tomatoes, I used whole midget pickles, but slices will do just fine. For the croutons, as I said, I used a ciabatta roll…..cut it up …..a few minutes in the oven and they were done. Just be sure to watch them, they can go from just about there, to slightly more than golden ( food term for burnt) in a flash.
Of course, I wanted to have the prettiest plate for Tim’s amazing pictures, so I fancied the salad up by making it a Cobb salad…….neat pretty little rows…….plays into my OCD very well…..lol.
Oh……I almost forgot the dressing……..when we were kids, my Mom and Grandma both made a dressing for salads out of Miracle Whip. We loved it…it was sweet and creamy. so, I played off of that dressing, adding what would go on a Bacon Cheeseburger…….mustard, ketchup,and I added pickle juice and vinegar for tang…….it was perfect!I kinda sang that part ……..but it deserved it!
Now, about how it tasted……well ,I can’t say I missed the bun at all. If you closed your eyes, and took a bite, it was like biting into a bacon cheeseburger…….no really, it was. We will definitely be making this one again and again. It was quick to throw together, and kid friendly………..So, how about a Bacon Cheeseburger Cobb Salad…..tonight?Print
- For the salad:
- 4 cups romaine lettuce chopped
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese cubes
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup sliced red onions
- dill pickle slices, as desired ( I used midgets)
- 4 slices applewood smoked bacon, roughly chopped and cooked until crips
- 3/4 cup croutons ( I made mine but purchased one will work just as well).
- For the burger:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup onion minced
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup light mayo
- 1 tablespoons mustard
- 1tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons pickle juice
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- Place chopped romaine on a serving platter. Add the remaining ingredients in rows across the lettuce starting in the middle with the ground beef mixture. I put the ground beef in the middle and half of the remaining ingredients on each side….easier to serve. You can also do individual plates.
- Serve dressing on the side.
Serves tow for a hearty main course but can serve four as a lighter meal.