We all know about traditional carrot salad…….mayo based,with *gag* raisins…….I know I should not bash food, but I really dislike raisins!
I don’t know if it’s a texture thing, or if it’s the actual taste…….or the fact that they can disguise themselves as chocolate chips……..then bam…..it’s a raisin. Very disappointing when your mouth is set for sweet chocolate……
We are starting the dog days of summer, hot, humid, and I’m as lazy as can be. So, when I fix something I want it to be refreshing,cool and quick………Dijon Carrot Salad fits the bill.
Sweet shredded carrots……..shredded in my new food processor……woot woot!!!! I love when I get a new kitchen toy!
Green onions and parsley, easy peasy, and super fresh. But, it’s the dressing/vinaigrette that is the star of this show.
Dijon adds a zesty, tangy, sharp bite to this dressing/vinaigrette. Sweetened with honey……it’s the perfect combo of flavors for carrots.
Dijon is a style of prepared mustard that originates from the Dijon region of France. Dijon mustard made with white wine and ground mustard seeds is pale and creamy the perfect flavor enhancer for vinaigrettes, mayos, and sauces.
You can whip Dijon Carrot Salad together in a flash and it goes perfect with grilled foods……a cool counterpart. We had our’s with steaks, but, I think it would be a delicious salad with chicken or fish.
Think cool and have Dijon Carrot Salad for dinner ……tonight!!!
- 1 pound carrots, peeled
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Juice of one lemon
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Shred the carrots in a food processor. Place in a large bowl with green onions, toss to combine. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the dijon mustard, lemon juice, honey, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Whisk to emulsify. Stir in parsley. Pour over carrot mixture, toss to cover carrots with dressing. Refrigerate until serving.