By Sunday we will all be screaming NO MORE TURKEY!!! How about Grilled Sriracha Sloppy Joe’s ?
Don’t get me wrong, I love turkey, but after a few days of anything left over…..I am done! I want something the polar opposite of what ever that left over was.Grilled Sriracha Sloppy Joe’s are just that!
For some crazy reason I have been craving a Sloppy Joe. I haven’t had one in years. We used to have them all the time when I was a kid.
I seem to remember a recipe that called for a can of soup, but for the life of me I can’t remember what the soup was, but it was one of those recipes that women passed around until everyone had it.
You know on the recipe cards that all women……of a certain age will remember…..from the kitchen of……..’sigh’ but that was before the digital revolution!
As you who are familiar with my blog know, Tim likes things spicy and he thinks Sriracha is ketchup. Well ketchup goes in Sloppy Joe’s …so why not srirachia?
The recipe is a basic Sloppy Joe recipe with ketchup, onion, green pepper, and brown sugar.
I added a touch of sriracha, a little soy and teriyaki, garlic, and rice wine vinegar. The combo was awesome!!!
A little spicy, a little sweet , and a little asian.Grilled Sriracha Sloppy Joe’s.
Normally a nice bun is what you want, but I wanted to grill mine and needed a bread to withstand the grilling pressure…..enter the ciabatta loaf. Ok, so it seems to be my bread of choice for a lot of sandwiches.
But it’s perfect to grill and toast. Crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside. I sliced the loaf in half lengthwise, then cut it into four sandwiches. I scopped out a little of the inside of the bottom halves to make a little well for the Grilled Sriracha Sloppy Joe’s mix.
Back in the day a slice of single wrapped cheese would have went on top, but I picked cheddar for more flavor. Besides, I am not sure those wrapped slices are real cheese????
Once assembled I grilled those babies up………Tim and I both thought they were the best Sloppy Joe’s we had ever tasted.
So now that you are over the turkey, try the Grilled Sriracha Sloppy Joe’s !!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded, diced
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons teriyaki sauce
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook the ground beef green pepper and onion, in a skillet over medium heat until beef is no longer pink.
- Add in remaining ingredients, except bread, and mix well. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Slice ciabatta in half lengthwise , then into fourths. Remove a bit of the bread from each slice to make a well for the beef mixture.
- Pile sloppy joe mix on one half of 4 bread slices. Top with ¼ cup cheddar cheese, and place top on sandwich.
- Spread the outside of each sandwich with about 1 tablespoon butter.
- Heat a skillet or griddle until hot over medium high heat. Grill sandwiches until golden brown and the cheese is melted.