As promised, yet another Corned Beef recipe. This one is a simple and easy way to use left over Corned Beef from your St Patty’s Day Celebration.
Once again I cannot say enough about pizza…………I swear you can put anything on a pizza crust and have it come out tasty. After all pizza crust is bread, so any sandwich filling will make a great pizza. And who says pizza has to have tomatoes for the sauce…….mix it up sometimes , after all variety is the spice of life.
The Rueben Sandwich……….One account holds that Reuben Kulakofsky, a Lithuanian born grover, residing in Omaha, Nebraska, was the inventor. Kulakofsky’s weekly poker game was held in the Blackstone Hotel. The participants, who nicknamed themselves “the committee”, included the hotel’s owner, Charles Schimmel. The sandwich first gained local fame when Schimmel put it on the Blackstone’s lunch menu, and its fame spread when a former employee of the hotel won a national contest with the recipe.
Other accounts hold that the Reuben’s creator was Arnold Reuben, the German owner of the once-famous, now defunct Reuben’s Delicatessen in New York City.
Whatever the origin, it’s a yummy sandwich. If you make the traditional Corned Beef and Cabbage Dinner you are likely to have corned beef left over…………why not try a Rueben Pizza. Pizza crust with thousand island dressing ……no need for the traditional tomato base for this pizza. Topped with all the sandwich fixings, that left over corned beef ( you can buy deli corned beef and chop it up if you prefer), sauerkraut, and swiss cheese. I added onions……….because I like onions on a sandwich and on pizza…….you can leave them off if you prefer.
Try the Rueben Pizza……….before or after St Patty’s Day or any day you are craving a Rueben.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Pizza
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1–14 oz. Boboli Pizza Crust
- 3/4 cup Thousand Island Dressing
- 4 oz. shredded corned beef, chopped
- 1 cup onions thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup Sweet Bavarian Sauerkraut , drained and squeeze out excess water
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss Cheese
- Preheat oven to 450*
- Place pizza crust on pizza stone or cookie sheet. Spread thousand island dressing over the pizza crust. Top with corned beef, onion, sauerkraut. Sprinkle swiss cheese over toppings.
- Place in preheat oven and bake until heated through, cheese is melted and beginning to brown, about 20 minutes.
You can use deli corned beef in place of the shredded corned beef.
Keywords: corned beef, thousand island dressing, sauerkraut, onion, swiss cheese. pizza