Zucchini is in abundance at this time of the year. What to do with all of it……. Fiesta Zucchini Boat’s….. that’s what to do with it.
Zucchini, or as the French call it, Courgette, is one of the most popular summer veggies. Is there anything you can’t do with zucchini??? Plus it’s low in calories….of course depending how you fix it.
Choose small to medium-sized zucchini with shiny, bright green skin. The best size for zucchini is 6 to 8 inches length and 2 inches or less in diameter. Continue reading “Fiesta Zucchini Boats”
Fiesta Egg Skillet
It’s Sunday……..Whoo!!! Which means a really great breakfast. Fiesta Egg Skillet is my go to recipe.
I found this recipe years ago in one of those little recipe books that they sell in the checkout lane at the grocery store. I have always been a sucker for those things. I mean after all, when you are standing in line waiting, either you look at those trash rags about celebrities……..I really do not want to see what they look like without makeup, who dumped who or who’s cheating on who……..I always go for the food mags.
I will pick up magazines about any type of food, and one of the first magazines I ever had a subscription to was Bon Appetit. I was on top of the world when I made something from that magazine and it turned out just like the pictures.Well, times have certainly changed, but I still love a good food magazine. The pictures these days almost make you able to taste the food from the pages, and that is our goal also.
I wish I could remember the little grocery store book that I got the recipe for Fiesta Egg Skillet from,so I could give credit where credit is due, but the book is long gone …….as is sometimes my memory………but this recipes has definitely made enough of an impression that I am able to share it with you!
- 6 corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 large onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons oil – I used coconut oil, but any oil is fine
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 small jalapeño, minced
- 1 cup mexican blend cheese
- For Garnish:
- Salsa/Pico de Gallo
- Sour Cream
- Green Onions, thinly sliced, green parts only
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add tortilla strips and onions. Cook until the tortilla strips are crispy and the onions are starting to brown lightly. Keep stirring the tortilla mixture so it crisps evenly.
- In a medium bowl beat the eggs and stir in the jalapeño. Pour the egg mixture over the tortilla mixture in the skillet. Reduce heat to low and cover. Continue cooking over low heat until the eggs are set, about 5 minutes. Remove lid and sprinkle the cheese over the eggs. Cover again and let the cheese melt. Cut into 8 wedges to serve. Top with salsa, sour cream and green onions.
Keywords: eggs, cheese, jalapeños, corn tortillas, onion, breakfast