Cast Iron Cod Potatoes and Onions
What can you make in a big fat hurry……..fish! Cast Iron Cod Potatoes and Onions.
In past posts I have mentioned that I had a ton of recipes that I thought were lost forever…….then my friend Jeanne, recovered them….she is awesome!!! This recipe is one of them.
I have had a hankering for fish lately ………. on the last grocery shopping trip I picked some up. Just some frozen fillets….nothing fancy. If the store had fresh I would have bought them but they didn’t. Anyway frozen lasts for a long time right?
Recently we seem to purchase food, and then ……stuff happens……a week later I see the (fill in the blank) that I bought, and ponder… how long it has been in my frig???? My motto…..when in doubt, throw it out!!! We sometimes throw out a lot of food…..not good!
Funny, I bought the fish frozen, so if we got distracted it would not be a problem……I used it the next day……go figure. Continue reading “Cast Iron Cod Potatoes and Onions”
Caprese Chicken Tender Sandwich
It’s time for lunch…..you want a sandwich. How about a Caprese Chicken Tender Sandwich? The Salad of Capri with all the color of the Italian flag. Not that I thought that when I was making this sandwich…..I was really thinking , what am I going to do with these chicken tenders ?????
Tim will attest to the fact that sometimes……ok all the time, when I am at the grocery store, my imagination overrides any realistic needs for groceries. If I see something that looks good……it doesn’t matter if I go to the store hungry or full……and I think it will work for a recipe, I buy it. Continue reading “Caprese Chicken Tender Sandwich”
White Bean Bruschetta Burger
First it was Thanksgiving, then Christmas, then New Years, Super Bowl Sunday, and Valentines Day……whewwww…………can you say food coma.
I am ready to give my body a break. Working as a Food Service Director for a school district, my focus daily is on nutritious, healthy meals…….at school I have that down pat! At home, I do not practice what I preach, but I am going to give it a whirl. I will never be a vegetarian, or even a total health nut. I enjoy food to much to never have a brownie or a deep fried…….well a deep fried anything again………but I do want to try to make better choices on a regular basis. Biggest problem with that……TASTE. I will not eat sticks and grass….or things that taste like it in the name of healthy eating.
But, give me something tasty that’s good for you ……I’m there! At work I receive tons of recipes from all sources and it gives me inspiration for many of my recipes. Tim is a huge bean fan, me not so much, but I am willing to try new things. So when I saw a bean burger recipe I thought……. maybe????
So, I have always liked a pasta with white beans, rosemary, and tomatoes. Throw in some basil and parmesan cheese, add some garlic bread…….it’s dinner time. So, how to healthy it up? How about a bean burger, they make them from black beans all the time, so why not white beans, a little rosemary, a toasty ciabatta bun (whole grain), just a touch of mayo (lite), and a tasty topping of bruschetta ( one of my personal favorite things). While I confess it is not the same as the pasta, it was really good. I feel like I have made progress………..
- 1–15oz can Garbanzo Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1–15oz can Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 3/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 Ciabatta Rolls, split and toasted
- Red Onion slices and leaf lettuce
- Basil Mayo – see recipe
- Bruschetta – see recipe
- In a food processor, combine both beans, garlic, rosemary, and panko crumbs. Pulse until smooth. Add egg and pulse until combined. (If you do not have a food processor you can mash the beans with a potato masher or forks and add remaining ingredients.) Shape into 4 burgers.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook burgers until they are heated through, about 4 minutes per side until golden brown. They should reach an internal temperature of 145*.
- To assemble burgers, spread bottom of each bun with 2 teaspoons of the basil mayo. Place the burger on top of the mayo, add lettuce and onion slice, top with the bruschetta mixture and top of bun.
Keywords: garbanzo beans, northern beans, garlic, rosemary, panko crumbs, tomato, onion, burger, vegetarian
- 1/4 cup mayo ( I prefer Miracle Whip)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, minced
- Combine all ingredients. Let set to blend flavors. Refrigerate any unused portions.
- 4 small roma tomatoes, diced small
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons basil, minced
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- Combine all ingredients. Keep at room temperature until serving.Refrigerate any unused portions.