Grilled Fennel Salad
Fennel is crunchy and slightly sweet with a slight anise flavor…….like a light licorice. The stalks are topped with feathery green leaves, where flowers grow, and produce fennel seeds. The bulb is white or pale green. The bulb, stalk, leaves and seeds are all edible, but most recipes call for the bulb and the fronds…….the feathery green at the top. Fennel is also loaded with antioxidants, vitamin C, and fiber, so it’s super healthy. Fennel lesson over!
Fennel is one of those things that most people either love or hate……..I believe that haters have never tried it…….just my opinion. But, if you are a hater, try our Grilled Fennel Salad. Grilling the fennel adds to the slightly sweet flavor and the fresh herbs and lemon give it a fresh taste. It can be served either warm or at room temperature.
I served this salad with a Tuscan Pork Tenderloin. Three parts sage, to one part rosemary, then garlic, salt, pepper, and fennel seed to taste. Rub the pork with oil and pat on the herbs, roast in a 400* oven for 30-45 minutes. Serve with the Grilled Fennel Salad.
Tim had never had fennel, that he could remember, and he really liked it. I personally love it. You can also add it to gratins, or scalloped potatoes. It lends a background taste that will make people wonder what it is…….
So, for your next cookout try our Grilled Fennel Salad!Print
- 2 fennel bulbs, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon each fresh basil, parsley, thyme and fennel fronds
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Parmesan shavings
- Cut the tops from the fennel reserving the fronds. Removing and hard or inedible outer parts.
- Trim a tiny bit off the bottom, keeping the core intact.
- Slice the fennel into thick slices.
- Drizzle each side with olive oil, season with salt and pepper.
- Place slices on a medium hot grill turning until you get a nice grill marks and fennel is tender to the touch.
- Whisk together the lemon, olive oil, herbs and zest adding salt and pepper to taste, then drizzle all over.
- Garnish with the shavings of Parmesan cheese.
Keywords: fennel, herbs, grill, salad, parmesan cheese